Helping fashion companies embrace Industry 4.0

Across the world, fashion companies face fast changing economic and societal conditions. At the same time as pursuing their quest for operational excellence—more crucial today than ever—they must adapt to four major trends.

 

Millennials. Why do they matter ?

gettyimages-571980115.jpg

Lectra sees Millennials as a revolutionary driving force that entice fashion brands and manufacturers to produce faster, higher quality and more responsible products.

But according LIM College professors Robert Conrad, MBA, and Kenneth M. Kambara, Ph.D., co-authors of the “Shopping Trends Among 18-35 Year-Olds” study, the fashion industry “is approaching Millennials with old habits that won’t work,” as they told WDD in January 2017.

And you, how do you think fashion brands and manufacturers should address Millennials?

 

Digitalization = transformation

gettyimages-563854685.jpg

“Is it possible to grow an exclusive brand in the digital world? That is the crux of a debate currently bedeviling the luxury fashion industry, where growth has slowed at a time when digital technologies have allowed other sectors—from transportation to short-term apartment rentals—to expand globally at mass scale.” The Wall Street Journal, January 15 2017.

At Lectra, we have a strong point view on this debate. Every day, we see how fashion companies are sizing technology to accelerate product lifecycle management. 

 

Smart manufacturing is not just a vision. It is already there? 

gettyimages-155284482-gens.jpg

Industry 4.0 factories are smart, connected and integrated to the rest of the supply chain. The technology bricks are already available. In fashion, who will be the 4.0 leaders, who will be left behind?

“Ruyi Group’s made-to-measure business is a great example of intelligent manufacturing, as its operations transform from mass production to mass customization. Lectra’s solutions illustrate how IoT is used in the cutting room to provide predictive maintenance and optimize cutting activity.” - Mr. Hu Jingyi, China's MIIT, Internet of Things (IoT) Research Center Director. Heard at the “Made in China 2025” event held at Donghua University, Shanghai, on November 23 2016.

 

 

Opportunities brought by China’s consumer upgrade

gettyimages-510777832.jpg

Global brands present in China and Chinese fashion companies all need to factoring in the country’s evolution from factory of the world to a consumers’ market.

“Ten years ago, 75% of China's apparel industry manufacturing capacity was for export, leaving only 25% for domestic consumer market. Today, the situation is completely reversed. Apparel companies need to change from satisfying export needs and stay focus in domestic consumers’ needs.” - Mr. Du Yanbing, China National Garment Association Deputy Secretary-General and Director of the Ministry of Industry, deputy office director of China Garment, Intelligent Manufacturing Strategic Alliance. Heard at the “Made in China 2025” event held at Donghua University, Shanghai, on November 23 2016.